Are you hoping to get a work permit in Canada?
These simple steps can help you realize that goal and get a Canadian Work permit.
Step #1 Determine if you are Eligible
If you want to come to Canada to work, you need to find out if you are Eligible. You must meet the following criteria:
- You can only travel to Canada if you are exempt from the travel restrictions and are coming for an essential purpose due to Canada’s COVID-19 protocols.
- Most foreigners require a work permit to work in Canada. Some jobs, however, do not require a permit. Find out if you need a work permit.
- Show that you have enough money to take care of yourself and your family members as well as the ability to cover the costs to return home.
- No criminal record and provide a police report.
- Be in good health and be able to provide evidence.
- Work for an eligible employer.
- Not plan on working for an employer who offers escort, erotic massage, or striptease services.
- You must have a visa to enter Canada.
Additional criteria are also required depending on if you are applying from within Canada or from another country. Please consult an expert at Preferred Immigration to find out more.
Step # 2 Get the Right Type of Work Permit
There are two types of work permits in Canada.
- Employer Specific Work Permit
- Open Work Permit
Employer Specific Work Permit
An employment specific work permit allows you to work in Canada for one employer. It specifies where you can work, how long you can work for and where you can work. The employer who you will be working for has to go through some specific steps to get approval to hire a foreign worker such as an LMIA.
Employer specific work permits are the most common type of work permit. The best way to get one of these is to contact Preferred Immigration Services and have them connect you with a business seeking foreign workers.
Open Work Permit
An open work permit will allow you to work in Canada for any employer minus a few exceptions. It is much harder to get an open work permit, as they are only granted in specific circumstances.
- If you are an international student who has just graduated
- A student unable to meet the cost of your studies
- Have an employer-specific work permit but are being abused
- Applied for Permanent residence (PR)
- A dependant on someone who has applied for PR
- The spouse of an international student or skilled worker
- A refugee, or refugee claimant
- Are under an unenforceable removal order
- Are a temporary resident permit holder
- Are a young worker participating in special programs
If you want to find out if you are eligible for an open work permit, it is best to consult an expert. There is a lot of nuance and complexity to these applications.
Step #3 Consult a Professional
Professional Immigration services are a great way to navigate the work permit process. Many immigration consultants have experience with Work Permits, as it is one of the most common services they offer.
Some of the advantages of an immigration consultant
- Experience with the process
- Knowledge of what to expect
- Placement with an employer
- Higher success rates of application
- Faster to do it once than twice
- The application is made correctly
Applying for a work permit in Canada is a great way to live and work in Canada. Make sure that you apply for the right permit, confirm your eligibility, and consult a professional to start living your Canadian Dream.