Canadian citizens or permanent residents may sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner to become a Permanent Resident in Canada. The Sponsor shall sign an agreement with the Canadian Government stating his/her responsibility to financially support the sponsored spouse for a certain period of time.


You can be considered common-law partners if you and your partner have lived together in a conjugal relationship for at least 12 consecutive months (some exceptions apply) and have combined your affairs. The common-law partner isn’t legally married to you and can be either sex.


If you and your partner have been unable to live together due to circumstances beyond your control, but meet the other criteria for spousal or common-law sponsorship, then you may be considered a conjugal partner. The conjugal partner can be of the same or opposite sex.

Two options are available to process spousal sponsorship: the family class being processed outside Canada or the In-Canada class. The type of application will depend on the family situation. Spousal Sponsorship is a two-stage process. The first stage is the assessment of the sponsor’s eligibility, and the second stage is the assessment of sponsored person’s eligibility. There are certain criteria that need to be met to be successful in both stages. A marriage certificate alone does not prove a genuine relationship, and therefore does not guarantee the issuance of a permanent resident visa. This is why Preferred Immigration Services Inc can assist you.


If you have children whom you want to sponsor to Canada, the first thing you need to check is whether you really need to sponsor them, or are they already Canadian citizens, and that they do not need to be sponsored to come to Canada, but to just apply for a proof of Canadian citizenship. This may happen if you, as the parent sponsor, is already a Canadian citizen at the time of birth/adoption of your child.

If the above scenario does not apply to you, then you may be able to apply to sponsor your children to become a permanent resident of Canada. You will have to show that you have the financial capacity to support your children in Canada. In most cases, this a straight-forward application. However, complexities in these cases may also arise, which may cause delay or refusal of an application.


You can sponsor your own parents and grandparents, related by blood or adoption to become permanent residents of Canada. The application intake for this program opens every once in the beginning of the year, so be sure to prepare prior to its opening date if you have the qualification and intention to sponsor your own parents and grandparents.


If you have brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, or grandchildren who are orphaned, under the age of 18 and are single, they may be sponsored to come to Canada as a permanent resident.

You may also be able to sponsor one relative if you do not have anyone such as partner, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece, who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.

Call for an appointment. 780 430 7988