How You Can Get Canadian Spousal Sponsorship

Spousal sponsorship in Canada is a complicated legal process. Suppose you seek Immigration to Canada as the common-law partner or spouse of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. In that case, there are specific criteria you must meet. Here’s what you need to know.


Everything You Need to Know About Spousal Sponsorship in Canada

When qualifying for spousal sponsorship in Canada, an applicant must be legally married to a common-law partnership or a conjugal partnership with their sponsor. Relationships that qualify for spousal sponsorship in Canada include:

Contact Us Today!

    Common-Law Partnerships

    A relationship is a common-law partnership if you and your partner cohabit in a relationship together for a minimum of one year (12 months). 

    The 12-month period does not have to be 12 consecutive months. Short absences are allowed under the law.

    Because common-law partnerships do not have a marriage certificate, you may need to provide evidence of your relationship, including living together, financial statements, a record of cohabitation, and more. 

    Conjugal Partnerships

    Conjugal relationships are partners who cannot qualify as common-law partners because of factors related to marital status or immigration barriers.

    Requirements for Spousal Sponsorship in Canada

    To be eligible for spousal sponsorship in Canada, you must meet the following criteria:

    • The sponsor must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
    • Both the applicant and their partner must be at least 18 years old when they apply.
    • The sponsor must file an application for spousal sponsorship for their partner.
    • The applicant’s spouse must be able to support both partners financially.
    • The applicant’s spouse must sign a Sponsorship Agreement stating that they can provide financial support to both partners for a minimum of three years after the applicant receives their permanent residence.
    What if I Don't Live in Canada?

    If the applicant does not legally live in Canada when they submit a spousal sponsorship application, they are not eligible for sponsorship within Canada. If this is the case, they must apply for outland spousal sponsorship, allowing the spouse to sponsor the applicant as long as they are Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

    How Do I Prove My Relationship Status?

    Canadian immigration officials may require documentation or other evidence of a relationship, particularly if the partnership is considered a common-law or conjugal relationship. Supporting documentation or evidence of a relationship can include:

    • Financial documents, including joint bank account statements
    • Residential lease or proof of mortgage
    • Household bills (utilities, rent, etc.)
    • Signed affidavits from people who can support that the relationship is real


    If the applicant and sponsor have not been together for more than two years and have no children, Canadian Immigration will only grant conditional permanent residence. 

    Upon receiving conditional permanent residence, both partners must live with one another for a minimum of two years, at which point they can become unconditional permanent residents.

    Suppose you are a Canadian citizen and want to sponsor your spouse but live in a different country. In that case, you must prove that you will be living in Canada after the applicant receives Canadian permanent residency.

    The spousal sponsorship application process takes approximately twelve months.

    Apply for Your Spousal Sponsorship Today

    Preferred Immigration helps people succeed and begin their new journey. We help our clients overcome any challenges during the spousal sponsorship application process, from evaluating eligibility, documentation for the application, and final acceptance. We make the application process a smooth and easy one. Contact us today to see how we can help you on your immigration journey.


    Liked this article? Here are three more that can help you understand more about the immigration process:


    Business Hours

    Monday: 8:30am to 4:30pm
    Tuesday: 8:30am to 4:30pm
    Wednesday: 8:30am to 4:30pm
    Thursday: 8:30am to 4:30pm
    Friday: 8:30am to 4:30pm

    Business Info

    Immigration Consultants Edmonton
    10335 178 St NW Suite 206,
    Edmonton, AB T5S 1R5

    Copyright © 2021 Preferred Immigration Services all rights reserved. Designed by Leads Marketing Group

    Spousal Sponsorship in Canada: Everything You Need to Know
    Article Name
    Spousal Sponsorship in Canada: Everything You Need to Know
    Spousal sponsorship in Canada requires proof of relationship & other documentation. Preferred Immigration can help you every step of the way.
    Publisher Name
    Preferred Immigration Services
    Publisher Logo